Monday, November 26, 2012

MOKUREN, 木莲

Matahari maki~ 
Opposite roll as rice is the outer layer. 
Rolled with cucumber and crabmeat, topped with salmon. Refreshing.


When I was still a kid, I used to bug my parents to buy me sushi every time we went Carrefour for groceries. They have this sushi section where sushi is individually packed. Many supermarket's food section still have it. At that age, sushi to me is #Japanese #high class #posh #fun #delish! Plus, it was the era where Japanese dramas were very very popular, so it's culture has gotten a push. Salmon to me at that time was so posh because it's RAW. But I didn't really like it, so when I got home, I would heat the pan and give the salmon some heat before sending them down my tummy! Hah, I cheated yea!

Salmon maki and ebi tempura maki~~
Salmon and prawn were fresh and sweet. 
Simple yet tasty!

Baby octopus~
Cold dish, with slight sesame taste. Very crunchy and tasteful.
A good starter. 


I was with my girls in Ipoh for dinner. We wanted Japanese food, so we went around the east area (behind Tesco, near Aeon Kinta City) to hunt. We've seen many Jap restaurants at that area every time when we passed by. And our pick was, MOKUREN! Taadaa!
MOKUREN & it's special maki (which I don't quite remember what's the name)
Really really good. 
Salmon, unagi, crabmeat and etc, rolled into cucumber sheets, topped with egg roe and sauce. 


It was our first time here. The restaurant is quite small, I guess it can only fit 40 person max, very cozy though. 3 workers all in, 2 chefs and one "zap tao zap mei" lady (cleaning up). So don't expect to be serve like a king because there were too many customers for the 3 of them. We were given sits at the bar table right beside the t.o.i.l.e.t. (luckily NO disgusting smell, thankiu thankiu!)

The first thing we looked for in the menu was their dinner set which turn out that they only have lunch set and very limited 'don' (rice), not like what I can find from Zanmai's menu. So we ordered ala carte.

Chawanmushi~~~ 
Nothing special. Slightly over cooked and portion was small.


After ordering, we started chatting. As we were sited at the bar table, we were able enjoy the chef, I mean see how he cooks. Lalala~ They were quite systematic and hygienic (phew~). When he was preparing the spaghetti, he weighted the noodles. The portion was quite small, a man would never get satisfied with that amount. Just nice for girls with "cockroach stomach" (small eater).

Signature seafood spaghetti~~~~~
 Amazingly delicious and very garlicky. Seafood were quite fresh. 

Garlic fried rice and Tepanyakki grill chicken~
Both tasted so so only. The carrot in rice were very hard, tired chewing. 
Chic wasn't very fresh, heavy with the chic smell. The sauce couldn't cover the smell.


It's a good homey-feel dining. Only the food were served slow, one after one. Took about 1.5 hours for this '7-courses' to be served, so it would be a good catch-up-dinner. Food here aren't cheap, but it's reasonable, our bill was RM110. Overall was quite satisfying. Would definitely visit again! 

Bottomless green tea~
Served in a pot, and self-refilling because the aunty was too busy.



Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment